Aktualisiert: Feb 1
I have written this post to explain, in more details, how our Fermentation Workshops differ from most of the other ones that are offered in Berlin.
So first, our Bärbucha – Kombucha Café & Fermenterei is devoted entirely to fermentation.
After 4 years, it is still the the only place of this kind in Berlin, and actually in entire Germany.
We have the largest selection of lacto-fermented foods, drinks & pickles. Pictured below is only a part of our assortment.
In order to produce all of those Ferments, a vast knowledge & expertise is required. All of our ferments must be consistently good, batch after batch. So our knowledge is not based only on a one small jar that is prepared only for the purpose of a workshop.
In addition to those last 4 years here, I have a culinary background, with over 30 years of professional culinary experience that always included fermented foods.
If you're still not convinced that we are the right place for your future workshop, you can stop by & take advantage of our Dégustation Plate.
By ordering one of them, you'll have a chance to try up to four of our Ferments. This is a unique opportunity to check how our products taste like. You could also buy a jar or two with our Fermented Vegetables & sample them at home.
In our Workshops we teach how to properly ferment vegetables in the traditional way. And this is exactly what we practice, when we make our own. So what does it mean? It means: vegetables that are fermented for a minimum of one month (though usually longer than that). Vegetables fermented in the proper fermentation vessels & with the right knowledge & understanding.
When you decide to take part in one of our Workshops:
- you will be greeted with a Probiotic Shot of your choice. This Probiotic Shot is a juice from one of our Lacto-Ferments
- you will not spend an hour or so on cutting vegetables. As a matter of fact, you will not cut anything. Although different cutting techniques & different devices that can help you with that will be explained.
All the cutting will be done in front of you & will be explained. Also some alternative methods to come the the same end result will be shown.
- at the beginning of the Workshop, we will explain how the whole process looks like, so that you'll have a better knowledge & understanding what lacto-fermentation is.
- since there are no strict recipes for fermented foods, we will teach you how to create your own recipe & also how to create variations from the basic.
- you will have a better understanding of which are the proper fermentation vessels & which are not
- possible problems, like mold & Kahm yeast, will also be touched upon
- you'll have a chance of tasting the prepared item, like for example cabbage for Sauerkraut, at different stages of preparation
- included in the Workshop, is a Tasting of how a given item changes in time. So if it's a Sauerkraut Workshop, You will taste a month old Sauerkraut & a 3 month old Sauerkraut, as well as other Sauerkraut variations
- after the Workshop, you'll be able to sign in into our Fermentation Support group on Facebook. There, you will find additional information & step-by-step instruction of how to recreate what you have just learnt in our Workshop. Through there, you will also be able to ask questions & to receive the correct answers
- the Workshop lasts 1.5 hours & at the end of it we devote some time to your possible questions
- you will also have a chance to purchase, what we think, is the best home Fermentation Vessel at the discount price. Since we produce it, you will not be able to get it anywhere else.
Here's our 3-Cabbage Sauerkraut in our Fermentation jar.
Below is some more ferments in them:
But for bigger production, we always use these:
I hope that helped to make up your mind & we are looking forward to seeing you in our next Fermentation Workshop!